The number of obese people in the UK has more than trebled in the last 25 years, reaching what many doctors believe to be ‘epidemic’ proportions. Insufficient nutrition can lead to a variety of health-threatening conditions; understanding the benefits of a balanced diet and the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of disease is fundamental.
“This qualification aims to:
* increase understanding of the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health
* increase confidence in planning and achieving a healthy diet
* provide an understanding of how an individual’s dietary requirements change throughout their life
* provide an understanding of food labelling and the ability to use information from food labels
* provide information on eating disorders
* increase understanding of the role of a healthy diet for weight management
* increase understanding of the principles of food safety in a home environment.
The objectives of this qualification are to:
* give learners working in, or intending to work in, settings such as sport and recreation, exercise and fitness, hospitality and catering or healthcare an understanding of nutrition and health, to support
their role in the workplace
* enable learners to progress to other qualifications in this subject area, or within the wider area of healthcare, sport and leisure or hospitality and catering.”
A statement of what a learner will know, understand or be able to do as a result of a process of learning. As well as achieve an NCFE CACHE LEVEL 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health which is a nationally accredited and recognized qualification.
Course content unit 1
“This unit contains three sections:
Section 1: Explore the principles of healthy eating
Section 2: Consider the nutritional needs of a variety of individuals
Section 3: Extension activities “
Course content unit 2
“This unit contains five sections:
Section 1: Use food and nutrion information to plan a healthy diet
Section 2: The principles of weight management
Section 3: Understanding eating disorders
Section 4: Principles of food saftey for the home enviroment
Section 5: Extension activites “
Duration of course
Number of assessments
Online or Paper-based
Portfolio of evidence which is marked via an assigned tutor. Assessing knowledge/understanding. All units must be assessed in line with the Assessment Strategy.
Apply now for this course
We have a wide range of courses suited to employers, learners and further education providers. If you need help or advice then do drop us a line.